The Thing About Legacies



As most of you know, I've been reading some pretty ridiculous literature written by Bethel Church's senior pastor, Bill Johnson. To say that the man is a revolutionary is just about as ridiculous as saying that a forest fire is just a eensy-weensy spark, lol. His perspective and revelations about the Face and Presence and Person of God have COMPLETELY changed my life and my relationship with the extreme Lover of my soul.

Here are three of the culprits and catalysts for the destruction of everything I ever thought was right and good in my faith.





In the latter book ^^ Hosting the Presence ^^, Bill asks a question about what kind of legacy we want to leave.

I read that and instantly I was singing the Nichole Nordeman song "Legacy"

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
And you can take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all the "who's who's" and so-and-so's
That used to be the best at such and such
It wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an "atta boy" or "atta girl"
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon
enough destroy

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

Not well-traveled, not well-read
Not well-to-do, or well-bred
I just want to hear instead
Well done, good and faithful one

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me


So I began to search my heart. What kind of legacy DO I want to leave? The words of that song sounded good...but something just didn't FEEL right...Like it was CLOSE but not QUITE right...for me, anyways.

Then, in the middle of my wonderings, He says:

"so what legacy WOULD you like to leave? When people think of you, what do you want to be the first thing that comes to mind..? That you are talented? Anointed? Passionate? Beautiful? Dedicated? Generous? Compassionate? A good friend? Tell Me..." 

Lol, tell Him. Seriously? Tell the One who knows all and sees all?

One thing I have learned about my God is that when He asks you to tell Him something, it's not because He's curious of your answer. Rest assured, this One already knows every answer to every question you will ever give. He is wanting YOU to discover YOUR answer for YOUR benefit and revelation.

Knowing this about Him, I sat pondering His question. All of those things were good things as far as 'legacy leaving' goes, right? I mean, aside from the obvious vanity of two of them, who wouldn't want to be known for their anointing..for their passion..their dedication..generosity...compassion...loyal friendship...AND (being completely honest) more than a handful of women would be lying if they didn't admit that at some point in their lives, they want to be regarded as a stunning beauty. AND a year or two ago, possibly even as close as 6 months ago, I would've probably chosen all of those things.

But here recently, I've begun reevaluating my thought processes on what is good and true. On what's truly important in the hugonic scheme of things. Is anointing really that important? Is compassion really that important? Is generosity, beauty, loyalty, honor...is ANY of it really that important?

This time, when presented with that question, my whole being exploded with warmth and a response that both impacted and surprised the HECK outta me with it's raw truth. The atmosphere in the car(I was at Wyatt's football practice...these people...haha...probably think I'm some kinda nutso...)was suddenly thick and electric. Almost as if heaven was veritably hanging on the awaited, gifted response...I was overtaken with the fact that it really WAS what I wanted with all of EVERYTHING that was and is inside of me...That glorious, 'hallelujah chorus' moment when you suddenly realize that you have deciphered the mystery of the meaning of life...the fact that nothing else mattered in my life more than this one thing...the one thing in which ALL of the other lesser things find their home and place...

"I want to be remembered as someone who was fearlessly
in love with You."

And He smiled. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's a Herd of Wild Elephants Running Thru My House!

ChugChugChug-Diggidah-Diggidah-DOMMMMMMMM

The Name of The Game Is Slayer...